Thursday 19 November 2015

Reflection On My Progress

Since the start of September I have embarked on the second part of my A level in which I have started another blog for my coursework and have started learning the theory side aswell.

In reflection of my coursework, I feel that I have completed my research section almost thorough. I started off analysing my previous years work and my next steps into A2, being critical of the things I did well but also didn't do well so that I could reflect on this and do better as I start my second section of coursework. Taking this onboard I spent time evaluating my thoughts on the briefs given for coursework section two and made a wise decision on which brief suited my skill set and would show these skills off, but also to challenge my thought processes and exterior interest to school. This brought me to the music video brief, which I'm happy I took on. This is because of my general love for music which is a big hobby of mine, and that I am now able to be interested in my brief and to then want to put the time and effort into such a big project. It also means I feel that I can be more creative in my ideas towards sections of the work.

After doing so, I took time to research into different elements of music video and music. I looked in depth at music and music videos throughout time and the different styles of music video and music genres and what they are about giving examples of each and my own thoughts on this. I then analysed 10 music videos of a range of different genres to broaden my knowledge of music video and the codes and conventions of each in which an audience would be able to infer certain themes and feelings from the videos and the different genres.

As an extra thing, I wrote about my personal thoughts and feelings of my favourite videographer 'John Hicks' and explained how this could then have an impact of the style of video I later produce due to him being an influence on my bike hobby outside of school and how I could then bring this to the table when it comes to my thoughts and ideas in my coursework.

After this I analysed 5 digipaks and 5 magazine advertisements as this is a big section of my work because of them being ancillary tasks. I feel I could have analysed a few more, however my outside skills of graphic design and this being the route I would like to go down after this year, I feel I understood after 5 of each how different music genres and styles of artist would then have their adverts and digipaks based off of their music and image in media, whether it being the typography made sharper to fit a harsher genre like metal for a heavy artist like Metallica or the sorts of colours used to connote certain themes and how this would then link to the tone in their music.

Once I had done the analysing of music video, digipak and adverts I evaluated each in detail on my thoughts of what I have discovered and tried to present this understand.

I created my target audience survey and concluded my discovery of my responses and how this would impact my future decisions in my planning section of my coursework.

I finally concluded my research section giving the learning I made throughout this section. I feel that I could I have blogged about theoretical issues relating to my task however this is something I can go back on and improve.

Currently I have started my planning section. I have brainstormed and finalised my ideas and have writing up my shot list. I have gathered and concluded about locations, actors, props etc, yet still need to finish off my storyboard due to me wanting to draw this up almost shot for shot and start making an animatic to test shot lengths etc. My ancillary tasks still need to be started but I feel I can complete this area fairly quickly due to my pre existing understand of graphic design and skills in editing as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment