Tuesday 16 February 2016

Draft 3 Advert and Digipak

After getting an image I was happy with for my cover I wanted to continue to develop this to a higher level as I want to achieve high marks overall in this section of the work and get this to industry standards due to my interest in pursuing graphic design as a career.

Moving on with the development of my digipak I wanted to focus on the front cover first, as this is the initial thing the audience will see and what is like the sales pieces of the whole video/music whilst  in advertisement and on the shelfs in shops. I started to think about the feeling the song I gave chosen and what sort of typography and fonts I could use to suit this theme the best. I also thought about developing a graphic which links in nicely.

I started off looking at san serif type faces this being text without 'flicks' as the natural curved fonts would link to the overall flow of the video and also the urban tempo of the track itself. I wanted to put this text in a contrasting colour to the darkness of the image so white initially came to mind in making the text pop as opposed to blending with the background.

I searched through the pre set fonts Photoshop and Illustrator have to offer, not really liking the forms of the text so I started to look elsewhere on sites like 'dafont' and 'Fontspace'. I found a copyright free font with large curved letterings so I took this onto Illustrator to change slightly. I added more connectors between the letters of the name of the song and also the artists names themselves which I like a lot better due to the flow of the text.

Here is the colour change I made and the manipulation of the text. I think this looks nice and works well, the text is fairly simple yet has the accents for a slightly digital effect which suits the tone of the track.

I then started to compose this onto the digipak cover. The final thing I needed was a main graphic. I wanted this graphic to be some sort of geometric shape to match the feel of the titles but also to have the graphic to tie the composition of the pieces together. I know my types of patterns and shape as I practice graphic design in my spare time (as I already stated) so using something aztec of a style of basic mandala could work due to the symbolic meaning of them and also the slight urban effect they have which would fit well. I experimented with a range of shapes in conjunction with each other and created a circular graphic as a result in the white colour matching the titles. Overall I really like the result of the graphic because the circle being subliminal in presenting a bike wheel or the cycle of a day in the life of a rider links well, and the complexities within the graphic representing the obstacles the rider faces whether it be riding far to have fun or the effort of building to create and achieve something to be proud of or enjoyable.

Initial graphic I produced didn't work well, the lines were too complex and thinned out not being visually easy to view.



My second graphic developed from a lined shape to a thick white mandala where I experimented with composition and the play with my text.


Final graphic
 Progression and development







No comments:

Post a Comment